2006 TBSS Tuning

PCM and handheld tuners

Moderators: SS-ROB, Got TBSS, 08bluedemon

jefferybraman
LS
LS

2006 TBSS Tuning

Post by jefferybraman » Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:06 pm

New to the forum from Hastings, Mi. Ive been reading a lot of your threads and would like to pick tour brains more about tuning my 06 TBSS. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Got TBSS

Post by Got TBSS » Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:18 pm

Hey Jeff, What were you curious of doing? Tuning a truck is almost limitless, it all depends on where you wanna start and final goal (for now lol)
|Sold-06 TBSS AWD|Superchips Tune|Cold Air Inductions|Magnaflow Res|LED Headlights|Blazer Fog 6k HIDs|Pioneer Avic8100|ArticStart Edge 2x|Aeroforce Interceptor|*Air Vent Pod Mod + Custom Decals Produced Myself*
http://www.tgcreative.net

jefferybraman
LS
LS

Post by jefferybraman » Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:38 am

I just want to get as much horsepower and torqure out of it as possible without pulling the engine and replacing a bunch of stuff or adding superchargers ect...maybe in the near future bit not right now. Another thing that REALLY bothers me is the shift points, that seems to be its Achilles heal. I put a Volant cold air kit in it last weekend and bought an Accel tuner for it and have been playing around with it some. Thats the other thing. I see everyone talking about HP tuners. Can tou get more out of an HP than an Accel?. I do also have an evap code, will that make it run worse?

jefferybraman
LS
LS

Post by jefferybraman » Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:39 am

SLEEPER! LOL

jefferybraman
LS
LS

Post by jefferybraman » Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:11 am

Got TBSS wrote:Hey Jeff, What were you curious of doing? Tuning a truck is almost limitless, it all depends on where you wanna start and final goal (for now lol)
Sorry, i thought i has responded to your post. Still trying to figure out how Tapatalk works exactly. Thanks

Gzero
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Gzero » Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:52 am

I've used both SuperChips and HP Tuners. Superchips was a good starter but it wasn't until I purchased an HP Tuner did I really notice a huge benefit. There is just so much to tuning, I leave it up to someone else to actually do the tune files. HP Tuner is great a scanner also. Hook it up and you can see live data on your laptop.
07 3SS AWD Summit White - TVS1900|The Force Cam|HP Tuner Pro|RPM lvl6|Vig 3200 Tri-disk|Kooks 1-7/8" w/ ORY|Magnaflow Catback|4" MAF Fenderwell Intake|Dual LS1 eFans|PCM Pickup Tube|160* Stat|BM Trans Cooler|Dual Aeroforce|Anzo Halos & OPT7 HIDs|Big 3 Gnd|Pioneer 7" Nav|Massive Audio Subs & Amps|Diamond Audio Components

Got TBSS

Post by Got TBSS » Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:02 am

Especially since you want to hold off on pulling the motor and really doing some work on it, I would personally recommend sticking to only a handheld type tuner. These across the board tune on the mild side to "play it safe" I had a Superchips Cortex handheld that i tuned to "performance" and ran 93 octane. I notice an immediate difference in throttle response, shift points, and even gained 1-2mpg.

HP Tuners is to go to for a lot of tuners. Like Gzero said, it is great for scanning and data logging. If you have never tuned or have not been educated to tune, i would recommend you to NOT mess with it. It is very easy to permanently mess up your truck. I have personally seen a motor ruined due to this. Don't mean to scare you, but it is the harsh reality.

When you get to the point of tearing down the motor and doing upgrades, i would then have the truck either dyno, or street tuned from a shop. My buddies drive 3 hrs from CT to NJ to have theirs done. Its a hike but its done properly.

Hope that helps!
|Sold-06 TBSS AWD|Superchips Tune|Cold Air Inductions|Magnaflow Res|LED Headlights|Blazer Fog 6k HIDs|Pioneer Avic8100|ArticStart Edge 2x|Aeroforce Interceptor|*Air Vent Pod Mod + Custom Decals Produced Myself*
http://www.tgcreative.net

jefferybraman
LS
LS

Post by jefferybraman » Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:42 pm

Yeah, helps for sure. So it sounds like with the Accel that i got, its a good starting point. I appreciate the info. Im thinking about possibly cutting the catylaic converter out and installing a straight pipe, and next summer dual exhaust and possibly headers. After reading some of these threads i have been wondering about a different torque converter too. What do you say about all of this? I have already taken the rear air bags out of the suspension because it was leaning to the passenger side more than an inch. Do you see that problem often with these TBSS?

Gzero
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Gzero » Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:56 pm

You see quite a few TBSSs leaning to the side. Its more like a gangsta lean IMO. :lol: Torque converter made a crazy difference. I initially went with a 3600 stall and was amazed at how much better my launches were. Before you get to crazy about doing that, you really should look into an oil pickup tube and trans cooler. PCMofNC.com has a lot of good equipment for these behemoths.
07 3SS AWD Summit White - TVS1900|The Force Cam|HP Tuner Pro|RPM lvl6|Vig 3200 Tri-disk|Kooks 1-7/8" w/ ORY|Magnaflow Catback|4" MAF Fenderwell Intake|Dual LS1 eFans|PCM Pickup Tube|160* Stat|BM Trans Cooler|Dual Aeroforce|Anzo Halos & OPT7 HIDs|Big 3 Gnd|Pioneer 7" Nav|Massive Audio Subs & Amps|Diamond Audio Components

jefferybraman
LS
LS

Post by jefferybraman » Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:10 pm

It still looks like it leans to that side somewhat