3rd Brake light water leak?

Having issues with your TBSS? Find help here by posting your problems and/or trouble codes.

Moderators: SS-ROB, Got TBSS, 08bluedemon

Got TBSS

3rd Brake light water leak?

Post by Got TBSS » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:34 pm

Evening all. Today a rainstorm went through that was just nuts. Crazy wind and rain in literally every direction. When i went out to the SS a little later on, i noticed on the top of the roll out trunk privacy screen a small puddle of water. I felt all over the head liner for damp spots and even looked with a flashlight to see any water drops. Couldn't find a thing.

The only conclusion i had was that with the crazy force of the wind/rain, that it was coming in around the brake light in the tailgate and was getting spit inside the truck.

Any ideas guys? Again, i found ZERO wet spots aside from the small puddle.
|Sold-06 TBSS AWD|Superchips Tune|Cold Air Inductions|Magnaflow Res|LED Headlights|Blazer Fog 6k HIDs|Pioneer Avic8100|ArticStart Edge 2x|Aeroforce Interceptor|*Air Vent Pod Mod + Custom Decals Produced Myself*
http://www.tgcreative.net

08bluedemon

Post by 08bluedemon » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:55 am

I can't think of anything. There should be some kind of line of moisture leading to the puddle. Could it be the weather-stripping around the glass.
When I wash my wife's car water poors out when I open the rear passenger door, yet the weather stripping looks good.
Is this the first time it's happened.
"I had brain surgery what's your excuse "

Got TBSS

Post by Got TBSS » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:13 am

That's what i was first thinking but it all was bone dry. I go through the automated car wash at least 2-3 times a week and never had an issue. That's why i think it was a fluke thing. I'll just have to keep am eye
|Sold-06 TBSS AWD|Superchips Tune|Cold Air Inductions|Magnaflow Res|LED Headlights|Blazer Fog 6k HIDs|Pioneer Avic8100|ArticStart Edge 2x|Aeroforce Interceptor|*Air Vent Pod Mod + Custom Decals Produced Myself*

wsvi
Supporter
Supporter

Post by wsvi » Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:47 am

lay in the back and have someone spray it down pretty hard with a hose around the brake light and the edge of the glass and see if you see anything
06 Red Jewel/ Kooks Headers /RPM LVL6 /Yank Converter/ PCMofNC Dyno Tuned/Lowered

Got TBSS

Post by Got TBSS » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:45 pm

wsvi wrote:lay in the back and have someone spray it down pretty hard with a hose around the brake light and the edge of the glass and see if you see anything
That's the next step. I went to the car wash on lunch today and there was no issues. Will have to recreate that monsoon at home at one point this weekend.

Got TBSS

Post by Got TBSS » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:21 pm

It must have been a fluke thing. I have been to the wash several times and today we had another crazy monsoon like downpour come through. Everything was bone dry. If it happens again, i will be sure to try and trace any lone drips.

Gzero
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Gzero » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:47 pm

I know you were talking about drips from above, but I remember having a leak from the washer fluid in the rear when I first bought mine. It only had 30k miles on it at the time, and not sure what caused it. I don't have the washer fluid hooked up to the rear since I noticed it way back when. I'll have to check where the lines run while I'm back there with the rear torn down.
07 3SS AWD Summit White - TVS1900|The Force Cam|HP Tuner Pro|RPM lvl6|Vig 3200 Tri-disk|Kooks 1-7/8" w/ ORY|Magnaflow Catback|4" MAF Fenderwell Intake|Dual LS1 eFans|PCM Pickup Tube|160* Stat|BM Trans Cooler|Dual Aeroforce|Anzo Halos & OPT7 HIDs|Big 3 Gnd|Pioneer 7" Nav|Massive Audio Subs & Amps|Diamond Audio Components

Got TBSS

Post by Got TBSS » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:52 pm

Gzero wrote:I know you were talking about drips from above, but I remember having a leak from the washer fluid in the rear when I first bought mine. It only had 30k miles on it at the time, and not sure what caused it. I don't have the washer fluid hooked up to the rear since I noticed it way back when. I'll have to check where the lines run while I'm back there with the rear torn down.

Good thought, i'll check those lines tomorrow in the sunlight :P