Funky smell from the vents

Maintenance, carpet, etc..

Moderators: SS-ROB, Got TBSS, 08bluedemon

jetech
LS
LS

Funky smell from the vents

Post by jetech » Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:23 pm

Anyone have a funny smell come out of the vents when the fans are on? Someone mentioned a dead rodent, but it doesn't smell that bad, and I don't think there would have ever been a chance for a mouse to get in the blazer. It's not very strong, but I can definitely smell it, just started up the past couple of days. I keep my TB pretty damn clean all the time.

Finkle
LS
LS

Post by Finkle » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:45 am

You may have a clogged drain line and getting a musty smell.

Got TBSS

Post by Got TBSS » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:38 pm

Also, We had a huge issue with the new Cadillacs with having a really bad smell when using the AC. It was an issue that condensation would build up so much that when the car cooled off, the moisture would remain. This would create surface mold. It's as gross as its sounds. The system had to be removed and hazmat cleaned and put back in. This was because of an computer glitch that was fixed with a patch but the same concept could be going on.

So

A. something is dead and should pass in time
B. Mold could be there, that needs to be cleaned or will dry out eventually.
|Sold-06 TBSS AWD|Superchips Tune|Cold Air Inductions|Magnaflow Res|LED Headlights|Blazer Fog 6k HIDs|Pioneer Avic8100|ArticStart Edge 2x|Aeroforce Interceptor|*Air Vent Pod Mod + Custom Decals Produced Myself*
http://www.tgcreative.net

wsvi
Supporter
Supporter

Post by wsvi » Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:30 pm

i tried this product once ( not on the SS)einszett 961105 Klima-Cleaner Professional Air Conditioner Cleaner - 10 oz worked pretty good .
06 Red Jewel/ Kooks Headers /RPM LVL6 /Yank Converter/ PCMofNC Dyno Tuned/Lowered

Gzero
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Gzero » Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:02 pm

I'm pretty sure this is what they use at repair shops that service your A/C and talk about enzyme cleaning.
07 3SS AWD Summit White - TVS1900|The Force Cam|HP Tuner Pro|RPM lvl6|Vig 3200 Tri-disk|Kooks 1-7/8" w/ ORY|Magnaflow Catback|4" MAF Fenderwell Intake|Dual LS1 eFans|PCM Pickup Tube|160* Stat|BM Trans Cooler|Dual Aeroforce|Anzo Halos & OPT7 HIDs|Big 3 Gnd|Pioneer 7" Nav|Massive Audio Subs & Amps|Diamond Audio Components

YoMaMasMann
LS
LS

Post by YoMaMasMann » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:08 am

Try locating and changing ur cabin filter if there is one. I had a funky smell in my monte carlo ss whenever I turned on the ac, changed the cabin filter n now the smell is gone. I also put one of those whole house fresheners in with it so as im driving it smells pretty damn good in the car.

Gzero
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Gzero » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:15 am

Good call but these bricks don't have an in cabin filter but they can be added fairly easy if you can find a door out of another Chevy. Just need to cut a hole under the glovebox door with a dremel or hot knife.
07 3SS AWD Summit White - TVS1900|The Force Cam|HP Tuner Pro|RPM lvl6|Vig 3200 Tri-disk|Kooks 1-7/8" w/ ORY|Magnaflow Catback|4" MAF Fenderwell Intake|Dual LS1 eFans|PCM Pickup Tube|160* Stat|BM Trans Cooler|Dual Aeroforce|Anzo Halos & OPT7 HIDs|Big 3 Gnd|Pioneer 7" Nav|Massive Audio Subs & Amps|Diamond Audio Components

crazysurfer
LS
LS

Post by crazysurfer » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:16 am

I experienced the same thing a year ago. Turned out that the funky smell came from a mold buildup on the A/C's condenser coils.